Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fresh News...Launch Date Set For Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008

I must say, I'm impressed! When I first heard that Microsoft had renamed Longhorn to Windows Server 2008, I assumed it meant that it would maybe be ready in the last quarter of 2008, if not delayed till 2009. Nope! The date set is February 27th, 2008. Geekmas in February...Whoo Hoo!!!

Anyway, I have seen Server 2008 demoed a couple of times and am looking forward to it. I am particularly looking forward to its virtualization capabilities. I have already designed a couple of scenarios where this would solve many of the issues I have had in the past. I will be outlining some of these scenarios in future blog posts but for now, I'd just like to say let the geekness begin!

When I was at Energize IT this year, I had the pleasure of sitting in on a session with Don Vilen, Senior Project Manager from the Redmond SQL Server team and I must say, I am looking forward to the improvements he was mentioning. On the Energize IT site there is a copy of his slide deck that will spell them out far better than I could...you can find it at the bottom of the page here.

I have to be honest with you guys, I started the gainfully employed period of my IT life as a developer. I am a strong proponent for Visual Basic and have been using it since it was called Quick Basic for the DOS platform. My last serious application was developed using VB 6 and since then I have only developed small applications to keep my skills current. Due to this, I will refrain from making too many comments on this but I will say that I will be changing this and have a couple projects in mind.

I want to keep this post short so I will leave you with this, by finally providing a release date, Microsoft has provided a finish line for us to focus on...we have about eight months to get up to speed with the newest technologies before they hit the mainstream. Lets use it!

No comments: